Dr.-Ing. Martin Bruschewski
Oskar-Kellner-Institut (OKI) / Raum 116
MRI flow lab
Fon +49 (0) 381 498 - 9319 (Raum 116)
Fon +49 (0) 381 498 - 9328 (MRI flow lab)
Fax +49 (0) 381 498 - 9312
Quantitative Flow Measurements with Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI)
MRI – Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- Non-invasive flow measurements in technical flow systems
- Capturing 3D velocity vectors within minutes
- 3 Tesla full-body MRI with 600 mm inner diameter for large-scale experiments
The laboratory is specially designed for fluid mechanical experiments in technical flow systems. At the heart of the lab is a 3 Tesla full-body MRI from Siemens, which can be integrated into various flow circuits with water and other fluids. Models of technical flow systems such as engine parts, but also models of medical and biological flows can be measured extremely quickly and efficiently in this system. The three-dimensional acquisition of the flow quantities, such as the velocity vectors in the flow, requires only minutes.
The unique layout of the laboratory enables high-precision experiments with very short set-up times. Particular attention was paid to the flexibility and upgradability of the laboratory for future research tasks as well as stable measurement conditions and operational safety. The unique features of the laboratory include:
- freely configurable flow circuits with high-performance pumps and large-volume tanks
- Complete electromagnetic shielding of the MRI room with six freely configurable filter plates for pipe feedthroughs
- sealed floor with drainage for safe working with liquids
- Ceiling rail system above the MRI and wall mounting systems for fast and safe experimental installations
Another special feature of the MRI flow lab is the overall arrangement of the rooms. The axis of the MRI system is aligned with two filter panels in the walls of the examination room as well as with the windows in the building walls. With this alignment, it is possible to place an extremely long experimental setup throughout the building in the MRI. Thus, in extreme cases, a nearly 100m-long channel can be examined inside the MRI.
MAGNETOM Trio von Siemens
- 3 Tesla full body MRI Scanner with 600 mm inside diameter
- highest magnetic field homogeneity in this scanner class
- 40 mT/m or and 200 T/m/s magnetic field gradients
- variety of transmitting and receiving coils with up to 32 channels
- typical spatial resolution: 1 mm x 1 mm x 1 mm
Flow supply system
The currently available system consists of several water tanks with a capacity of 1.0 m³ and several flow circuits with temperature and volume flow control. With this setup, Reynolds numbers between 1,000 and 100,000 can be achieved in the model being studied. The design of a more powerful flow system is shown on the right. This system is intended to realize fully turbulent flow conditions at a Reynolds number of up to 1,000,000.
Please start the video and pan through the examination room of the MRI flow lab.
Please start the video and pan through the control room of the MRI flow lab.
MRI utility room
Please start the video and swing through the MRI utility room.